Support 88Nine And This Artist:
There are at least four bands named "Husky":
1. A rock band from Australia
2. A downtempo duo from Poland
3. A rock band from the United States
4. An indie rock band from Mexico
5. A bass music producer
1) Husky the band includes folk-inspired Husky Gawenda on vocals and guitar, Gideon Preiss on vocals and keys, Evan Tweedie on vocals and bass, and Luke Collins on drums and percussion from Melbourne, Australia Even though they have varied musical backgrounds, a love for classic pop (Leonard Cohen, Paul Simon, The Doors and The Beach Boys), rich harmonies, and artful songwriting is the common thread that draws them together.
After winning Triple J Unearthed, the band continues to reach new heights, winning hearts with every sold-out show around the country. Recent performance highlights include supporting Devandra Banhart, Noah and the Whale, Kimbra, Jinja Safari and Gotye. On 21 October, the band’s anticipated debut album Forever So will be released.
To bring Forever So to life, Gawenda and Preiss pulled together all the old recording gear they could get their hands on and set up in a bungalow at the back of Gawenda’s house. “The backyard was overgrown with weeds and wild mint and the bungalow was full of junk,” Preiss says. “We spent all night watching videos online about how to sound-treat rooms. We partitioned off parts of the house where we recorded the vocals and instruments.”
After months of crafting songs, they headed to LA to bunker down with Noah Georgeson (Devandra Banhart, Joanna Newsom and The Strokes) at House of Blues Studios to mix the album. “Mixing in LA with Noah was an amazing experience,” Preiss says. “The recording had been such a labour of love, and we had grown so attached to the songs, it was difficult to imagine handing them over to someone else to mix them. But Noah’s sensibility and musicality really complimented the songs.”
The result is a lush collection of songs that echo the classics they grew up with, full of haunting lyrics, rolling rhythms and delicate layers of sound. For Gawenda, when it comes to writing, a song can appear from anywhere. “Generally something comes to me out of the blue – a line, a melody, a chord progression.” he says. In terms of lyrics, a kind of ghostliness imbues the poetry of the songs. “Forever So recalls times gone by, dreams, and people who are no longer in your life but still exist in your memory.”
Forever So will be released through Liberation on 21 October in Australia
2) Polish electronica-downtempo duo consisting of Patrycja Hefczynska (vocalist/writer) and Jacek Dojwa (composer/producer). Their music is influenced by such artists as Björk
, Craig Armstrong
, Amon Tobin
, Telefon Tel Aviv
. They released two LP's: "Czy słyszysz?" (eng. Do you hear
) in 2002 and "Zgadnij" (eng. Guess
) in 2006.
3) Based in Charlotte, NC, Husky is made up of Mark Hadden (bass), Phil Strickland (guitar), and Nate Wilkinson (drums). Hadden and Strickland began playing together as high school sophomores in 1991. After various band experiences, they recruited Wilkinson and in early 2000 Husky was born. Since their inception, the instrumental trio has grown from spinning improvised epic rock jams to firing off focused, intelligent yet simple tunes. Ranging from thick, head nodding groove-rock to echoing bluesy twang and swirling psychedelia to driving Southern grit, Husky’s masculine punch has been embraced by fans of blues and classic rock to modern and stoner rock aficionados. Their improv skills often come into play during live shows. The full-length debut “Circle the Wagons” was released in March 2006. The follow up album "The Sea King" was released in April 2008. New album due out in late 2010.
4) Is a band from Monterrey, Mexico, Mexican Indie Bubblegum Rock, Their first album is called "Weekend Lovers".
Orlando Fernandez - Drums, Voice
Coco Santos - Guitar, Voice
Gus Solis - Guitar, Keyboards, Voice
Captain Montes - Bass, Voice
Micky Gzz Jancovic
5) Alex Nutting a.k.a. Husky is a future garage producer. Husky just released Transition One EP for free via Atlanta based web-label Zip Sound Recordings.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Tracks We Played
Last Played on August 15, 2012 9:48am