July 29 2011
The Pixies recently announced more dates in October and November on their Doolittle tour, and they also announced that just released a very comprehensive smartphone app.
The app, which was developed by Mobile Roadie, includes the ability to listen to concert recordings of Pixies' shows including their reunion show at The Fine Line Music cafe in Minneapolis, acoustic set from the Newport Folk Festival, and other shows. It also includes free streaming of the Purple Tape Demos and a free download of their 2004 Coachella performance.
The app also includes tour dates, news updates, videos and a fan wall. The app is available for iPhone and Android and it is free. So go and put a little pixies in your pocket. When someone asks you, "Are you happy to see me, or is that a Pixie in your pocket?" You can answer with pride, "I have all the Pixies in my pocket." Here is a complete list of the features of this free app:
- Free streaming of the Pixies' Purple Tape -- back in the US after a 10 year absence
- Free download of the band's 2004 Coachella show
- Pixies Minotaur artwork from Vaughan Oliver and Simon Larbalestier, creators of the original artwork for all five Pixies' studio albums
- On-demand streaming of archive performances, including Manchester 1988, the first 2004 reunion show at the Fine Line Cafe, and the acoustic 2006 Newport Folk Festival show
- Fan profiles, badges and leaderboards
- Opt-in integration with Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare
- In-app store featuring the complete studio catalog and Pixies merch